As the weather gets warmer, and the layers slowly come off, we all want our bodies to look good. So what do we do? We hit the gym and watch what we eat, right? Unfortunately, the most popular weight loss diet for men (Low Carb. – High Protein) is not always the best.
Here are a few reasons why you may want to re-think this option…
- Very little or no carbohydrates in your diet can deprive your body of glycogen (glucose). – when your body lacks glucose, the signs of dehydration can be seen on your skin and especially your face.
- A diet absent of glucose doesn’t give fuel to the muscles and tissues, which can lead to saggy skin that lacks proper tone – says NYC aesthetician Claudia Pinto.
- “Cutting out carbs for long periods of time is horrible for your body – it can lead to osteoporosis, kidney stones and high cholesterol.” – Quote from New York City nutritionist Oz Garcia
Hey we all want to look good “now”, but the long term affects of this diet may not make us look too good later!
So here are a few recommended modifications…
(1) Instead of cutting out carbs altogether, it’s best to eat them in moderation and be wise about your choices.
(2) Replace white carbs (ie. white breads, pastas) with whole-grain ones, like brown rice.
(3) Also consider more fruits and vegetables.